Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Show and Tell #1: Exploding Gift Box for Birthday

Hiya guys. This will be the first installment of a series of post I will be calling "Show and Tell." Basically, I show the crafts I recreated or made and maybe tell a little about it. And maybe post a tutorial on how I did it on future posts. But, for now, I'll start with this explosion gift box I made for a cousin's birthday.

Gift boxes are really common when giving out gifts to both family and friends. But, why settle with the boring, plain gift box when you can make a unique one you can call your own, and impress the receiver with the effort you put into it.


What I love about exploding gift boxes is that it combines gift boxes and greeting cards into one. Handmade cards are becoming a trend, and this is another way you can give out a gift by combining both gift and card.




Materials you will need:
Boxboard/Chipboard
Decorative papers and cardstock
Stamps (Digital Stamps or Rubber Stamps, your choice)
Adhesive (Glue, double sided tape)
Embellishments of your choice
The dimensions of my explosion gift box is 5 x 5 inches. Basically, I measured out a 15 x 15 inch square on box board/cardboard. Then, I measured out 5 inches on each side of the square (top, bottom, left and right). That should give you a 9 equal squares. Score on all lines you drew. Then, I simply cut off the corner squares so I end up with 4 flaps on all sides, as you can see on the photo I posted.
Now, here comes the fun part. Decorate the flaps to your liking. Imagine that it's one big handmade card. Add a personal message, stamps, decorative paper, whatever you feel like putting on. I will have a detailed tutorial in this in the future (although I am no professional, just a heads up. =P). Then simply place the gift in the middle when done.




For the lid, I simply measured a 9 1/4 x 9 1/4 inch square, and and scored 2 inches on all sides. After that, cut on scored lines from the top, ending at the intersection of the score line. 

You should have 2 cuts on the top, left and right. Repeat for bottom part. Then simply form it into a lid, adhering the flaps together (again, detailed tutorial will follow). Decorate to your liking as well.


As for me, I added a ribbon to the box as a finishing accent. My cousin loved it and it made me happy that she did.


Have you made an explosion box already? Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear from you. =)

Til' next post! Cheers!


Edit: Papers I used for background on the inside were actually just digital papers I printed out. If you want to use them as well, you can head on to MelStampz and check out her post on the digi papers she has made and offering them for FREE! She's got a wonderful blog which includes a lot of freebies and tutorials! I use them in almost all my projects!  


Stamps, on the other hand, are all freebies (because it's all I can afford for now since I do not own a verified Paypal account). But as you can see, they are all wonderful digital stamps despite being given for free. The kid in the birthday box is from Melonheadz Illustrating. She's got lots of great stamps that you wouldn't think are for free. I am looking forward to creating more crafts using her stamps. I am addicted to them. Haha!


As for the other stamps, I will double check where I downloaded them and will put a link back to them again here. If anyone recognizes their digital stamp, please do shoot me an e-mail and let me know so I could mention you here. =)

Pin It Add it to your boards!

1 comment:

Have something in mind? Share your thoughts! I love reading comments.